[sociate] How the Bush Administration uses scarcity

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sociate News" <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:28:16 -0400

In
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2004_07_01_archive.html#10905205198286
2502> posting about the Bush Administration making masterful use of
Cialdini's six principles (consistency, authority, liking, reciprocation,
social proof and scarcity), I left scarcity empty. Out of the blogosphere,
Kurt Starsinic just dropped me a note with an answer, thus:

It seems to me that one of the subtexts of Bush's re-election message is,
"even if you think Kerry could *become* a better President than I *am*, now
is not the time for a change of leadership." As you implied with your "Sale
Ends Sunday" reference, this is an argument for scarcity of
opportunity--that the opportunity cost of having *any* President on a
learning curve *now* would far outweigh any marginal benefit to having
(arguendo) a more capable new President.

Indeed, although it is saddening that the Bush's Administration's "savvy"
about going after the perpetrators of 9/11 is what they're claiming is
scarce.

posted by Jerry Michalski at 1:04
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2004_08_01_archive.html#10921732924252
4243> PM