[sociate] Heartening art article

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:05:10 -0400

Today's New York Times
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/20/arts/design/20east.html> describes a
joint venture between  <http://www.eastmanhouse.org/> George Eastman House
and the  <http://www.icp.org/> International Center of Photography that will
eventually join and make electronically accessible their photo collections
(NYT site requires registration). The site, currently just a prototype, will
be  <http://photomuse.org/> Photomuse.org.

More! More!

I got mad years ago when Bill Gates bought the Bettman Archive and added it
to the already-huge  <http://www.corbis.com/> Corbis collection, all behind
gates (pun clearly intended).

(Here's a  <http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/mtarchive/002457.html> post by
David Weinberger, who recently got to tour the actual Bettman Archive.)

BTW, I got a call from a reporter when Bettman was bought, and I bluffed my
way through half the call (what the hell's the Batman collection??), until I
confessed to ignorance about it. Gave us both a great laugh.

posted by Jerry at
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2005_07_01_archive.html#11218914740090
9794> 1:22 PM