[sociate] Biotech at PopTech

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sociate News" <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:34:34 -0400

This first day of PopTech is focused on biotech, with multiple presenters
trying to shake our brains up with happy threats that we might be able to
delay aging (Aubrey de Gray), mix organic and non-organic substances in
potentially dangerous ways (Alan Goldstein), make spare body parts on demand
(Michael West) and otherwise mess with the matter of which we are made.

Best presentations so far: Juan Enriquez of Harvard Business School's Life
Sciences Project (what, no site?), digital artist and Media Lab alumnus
Golan Levin (he did the Dialtones Telesymphony) and de Gray, who is speaking
now. He's really droll.

There's been a bit too much Pangloss here and not enough Mander, especially
from Greg Stock, but I think it may even itself out.

posted by Jerry Michalski at 2:19 PM