[soapcraft] Re: posted soaps

  • From: Ross Spencer <galahad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 06:48:43 +1300

Try this link for The Dish Forum

http://www.thedishforum.com/forum/index.php?s=fe77fcf5fd034d900fa7cbf751462d
95&

-----Original Message-----
From: soapcraft-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:soapcraft-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mandy Coleman
Sent: Tuesday, 2 March 2010 11:48 p.m.
To: soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [soapcraft] Re: posted soaps

Kia ora

Why did you start to make soap?
Well I think I answered this when I first joined-so I didnt have to hide my
nice soap away from my family...thats the short version...

Did you have assistance (I know Mandy has a mentor) or are you entirely self
taught?
Yeah I had a mentor which was great but I also found the internet really
useful and did quite a lot of reading before I took the plunge. My soap
supplies arrived when I had a rotten virus (like a once in 10 year sickness
one), I was too sick so I had to wait a couple of very long days til I was
well enough to have a go.

What are your inspirations?
Great feedback about my soap inspires me to continue, successful soap
inspires me to make more....its still so new and exciting...

What resources do you use (books, web searches, The Dish, etc)?
What is the Dish? Obv not a resource I use yet!i purchsed soap naturally but
I was quite pleased I didn't buy it straight away before I began cos I don't
think I would have tried all the soaps I did if I had. I followed a lot of
recipes I found on the net and all of them are lovely soaps, some more than
others but none failures as the experts would predict..i find soap naturally
a great book but it's a bit pedantic I think to use a polite word.

Have you had or do you have the opportunities to pass on your knowledge (do
you take classes, etc)?
I plan to run a couple of workshops in the next few months so that should be
interesting! We also have a local skill share network which I may offer my
soaping knowledge to.

What is the one most important property of soap for you (please exclude
cleaning properties!)?
The softness I think, feels so good on your skin...

Where to next for your soaping adventures?
Make a proper mould and/or find some more interesting recycled moulds eg
cylinders -milk cartons etc.........just keep perfecting my technique. I
have a book that I list all my next soaps in as well as a scrapbook which I
write all my soap batches in....

Anything else?

Arohanui
Mandy Coleman
Mokihinui Mansions
36-56 Lewis Street
Mokihinui
RD1 Westport
037821837
0273075881
I've got six little growing piles each with your names on them.  Has been
really interesting to see the variety so far.  I am going to be really
interested in everyone's reactions to these.

I am really interested to know everyone's stories:

Why did you start to make soap?
Did you have assistance (I know Mandy has a mentor) or are you entirely self
taught?
What are your inspirations?
What resources do you use (books, web searches, The Dish, etc)?
Have you had or do you have the opportunities to pass on your knowledge (do
you take classes, etc)?
What is the one most important property of soap for you (please exclude
cleaning properties!)?
Where to next for your soaping adventures?
Anything else?

Ross