[soapcraft] Re: Soap Swap Comments

  • From: "Mandy Coleman" <mok.mansions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:39:37 +1300

Kia ora

I am all good :)

Arohanui
Mandy Coleman
Mokihinui Mansions
36-56 Lewis Street
Mokihinui
RD1 Westport
037821837
0273075881
-----Original Message-----
From: soapcraft-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:soapcraft-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Ross Spencer
Sent: Thursday, 11 March 2010 7:36 p.m.
To: soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [soapcraft] Re: Soap Swap Comments

Liz, thank you for the below

I saw these emails coming through today and they were winding me up. I
have had a day of dealing with childish staff and angry clients so I am
in just the right mood for this - furious to say the least!

OK.  I have counted to 10 and taken some deep breaths.  It hasn't
helped.

Some brief comments first:

.         If you wait for the market to tell you that there is something
wrong (i.e. you lose customers and sales) then it is too late

.         If you can't trust your fellow soap makers to be brutally
honest without malice then who can you trust?  Your customers are
unlikely to tell you.   They will just shop elsewhere and tell 10
friends along the way.

.         Yes, we all have personal preferences.  If you don't find out
what floats people's boat you will drive customers away.  Gina may or
may not have learnt that lemongrass is not that popular in this small
group of people and may or may not extrapolate that to her general
customer base and to those she wishes to attract.

.         I believe in freedom of expression as long as it is not
malicious and deliberately hurtful or is not unintentionally very
harmful.

.         I dislike political correctness.  In our society where we give
medals just for attending, I find it harmful in the long run.

.         My opinion is an ....opinion.  Take it or leave it.

So, can I reiterate that everyone's soap looks freaking amazing.  I am
in awe of all of you for a) having the time, b) being so creative, c)
being intelligent in thinking about the choices you have made when
constructing your soap (visual appeal, wholesome ingredients, packaging,
scent, etc), d)participating in this experiment and allowing us to
comment.

I am a very methodical person.  I like to itemise, bullet point,
progress through stages, pull things apart, analyse and reach a
conclusion.   I believe a methodical approach gives consistency.  I am
very particular about some things and not so much about others.  I have
very strong likes and dislikes, as we all do, and some things I can take
or leave.

I believe there is a lot of value in the feedback we will be given from
our peers.  I don't believe my soap is perfect and I would really love
your feedback - positive, negative, crazy feedback.  I might take that
feedback on board or I may not.  Mild mannered, polite feedback or
comments will be ignored.

Are we OK to continue?

Finally, Gina - I loved your soap and I am  not just being polite or
politically correct.  So there.

Ross (who may have just pissed everyone off)