[soapcraft] Palm Oil

  • From: "Liz Brook" <liz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Soapcraft" <soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:44:25 +1300

I find this a difficult one.  So I have taken the same line as Mandy.  I offer
a choice of soap.  There is the normal range which includes palm oil and I have
a small range of palm oil free soaps.  People have a choice and I feel this is
sufficient for now.  I am keen to experiment with a higher content of coconut
and other oils to see if I can replicate a good quality bar of soap without the
contributions that palm oil brings to my soap.  But it would mean resorting to
animal fats - which I will not do, and it will definitely increase the price of
the soap - which I don't want to do either.  I'll just price myself out of the
market.  Plus - I still have half a drum of palm oil to use up!!  I do have
some organic palm oil and have been reassured it is from a sustainable source.
But it is expensive.  So we must all do what feels right for us.  The public
will choose.

Liz