[snafuu] Re: [ale] kernel frustrations

  • From: Danny Cox <danscox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 01 Apr 2002 08:17:50 -0500

Phrostie,

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 07:57, phrostie wrote:
> i'm getting the drive errors again.  i'd hoped they'd been fixed.
> this drive worked flawless under 2.2, and the vender diagnostics show it to
> be good.  how can this be fixed.  i can't go back to 2.2 forever
>
> Apr  1 07:32:29 galveston kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Apr  1 07:32:29 galveston kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> DriveStatusError BadCRC }

        My first stab: are you running in DMA mode of > 2 (UDMA 66 or 100?)
with a 40 pin cable?  Usually, the driver recognizes this, and disallows
it.  Try 'hdparm -i /dev/hda' to see what it sez.

        Another stab would be to see if it happens in PIO mode.  It can be
incredibly slower, but you'd rather have it slow and right rather than
fast and wrong....

Danny