[snafuu] Re: Meeting this Saturday

  • From: Garrett LeSage <garrett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Snafuu <snafuu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 05 Mar 2002 15:31:43 -0500

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 12:52, Bryan L. Fordham wrote:

> 1) Place.  I think several want to meet at some eating establishment.
Easy enough, we just need to pick one.  I currently suggest Mellow
Mushroom downtown; I'm open to suggestions

Mellow Mushroom is too smoky. Every time I'm there, I have to leave
within a few minutes. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke.

Sentient Bean is great, but it's a bit small and might be considered
either pricey or too health-food-ish for some people (not sure what you
all eat though). Sushi might also be great, but the same rules probably
apply there too.

I'll think of another place and let you all know.

> 2) Time.  Early afternoon, I guess

Sounds great.

> 3) Topic.  I'm talking with a few folks about joining in, but they're
new to linux.  I think having a basic topic could help get them to come.
We certainly don't have to stick to it, just something to start
discussions.

I was thinking about different distributions. I have a lot to say in
that area, especially lately. I've tried all the major ones and even a
few of the minor ones -- and I'll share my experiences and such.

We did quite a few in-depth reviews and install guides on each major
distribution for Linux.com, back when I was a part of that endeavor.

I know the pros and cons of each.

Of course, talking about anything is still kosher. This will hopefully
provide a topic if there is nothing else to talk about (and I'm sure
there will be in addition to this...)

Another topic to consider might be desktops -- GTK+ 2 is right around
the corner and Gnome 2 is not too far along behind that (Beta 2 of Gnome
2 came out a little bit ago).

> I'm not trying to run the show here... just seems that no one else is
pushing the meeting and I'd really like to see it happen..

Yeah, I really want to see something happen soon.

Garrett