[snafuu] Knoppix v3.3

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: snafuu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:06:57 -0400

this was from another list, but it came up durring the meeting.
there are other live CD distributions such as Morphix(DVD).

Subject: Knoppix v3.3

Hey all,

I thought that I'd give you a little report on the latest Knoppix
release (v3.3 22 Sept 2003).  www.knopper.net/knoppix

Knoppix is a live CD Linux distribution based on Debian.  You can run it
completely from the CD without touching your harddrive, which makes it
very useful for hardware evaluation and system recovery.  One feature
that is a little less well-known is that you can use it to install Debian.

Yesterday when I came in to work I was getting ready to use Knoppix v3.2
to re-install Linux on my laptop (it came pre-installed with RedHat
8.0).  I was getting tired of my RedHat and I wanted to get back to
Debian, which is where I started out.  So I was pleasantly surprised to
see that a new version had just been released.  So I downloaded the ISO
with bittorrent (very nice tool) and burned it.

When booting from the cd I used the "knoppix screen=1400x1050" command
to set the X resolution.  The default is 1024x768.

This version is gorgeous!  It has the anti-aliased fonts, alpha
blending, transparent menus etc.  Lots of nice eye-candy
(fully-adjustable of course).

I pulled up a terminal and typed "su" (no password).  Then
knx-hdinstall.  This started a basic little installation routine.  After
you set up your partitions it starts copying the files from the CD to
your harddrive.  After about 10 minutes you choose whether or not to
install Lilo on the MBR.  Grub can be installed after the installation,
which I did.  Then you choose whether to start a few different services
at boot (sshd, samba, an MTA etc).  After a reboot and a gui to select
your desired localization and keyboard layout (default is German) you're
looking at your new install.

This install was very simple and straightforward and now I have a
gorgeous Debian desktop!  I love it!  The install doesn't have all the
bells and whistles that the other distros have (e.g. package selection,
bootloader selection etc).  In fact this procedure is "not officially
supported".  But it's a great way to get a working system up quickly.

There was one thing that I needed to fix however.  KDM (a graphical
login program) is configured to not terminate when you log out of X (not
rebooting).  This works well in the live CD scenario because when you
logout it shuts down the system.  However for the hardrive install you
want it to restart X so that you can log in again.  The fix was to add
the "-terminate" flag to a line in two config files:
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers.

You may want to change the /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to some
US based servers so that future apt-update, apt-upgrade's are faster.

All in all a very nice system.
I can't seem to say enough about how much I love it.
If you use Linux much you should definitely have a copy of Knoppix
around for any  emergencies.

Anyway, have fun!
Greg

Oh i've slipped the surly bonds of DOS