[smsrobotics] Re: School Meeting.

  • From: "Mulik, Jaiwant" <jaiwantmulik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "smsrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <smsrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 07:47:22 -0500

Great list Maria!

Let print this out and stick it somewhere conspicuous so that those without
immediate tasks can start working on each of them .....

-jm.

On 2/19/11 7:43 AM, "Maria DeVuono-Homberg" <devuonom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, all,
Hope the school meeting is a big hit! Will be great to hear the details of skit
and crowd's response.

As for later today, there are a few critical things we should consider doing b4
robot "ship" on Tuesday.

 *   What could happen to our tube deployer if we  are pushed over or toppled?
While not as likely in this year's challenge  as in others in the past, we
should plan appropriately. Contingency plans  include:
    *   Build a whole new replacement deployer ready to  go.
    *   Trace deployer pieces onto paper and trace  them onto the remaining
acrylic and Lexan ready to cut as needed at the  competition.
    *   Make only replacement side flap pieces hedging  our bets that they will
take the brunt of any collision at regular, standing  height in a no-topple
confrontation. (Could easily happen driving around and  getting swiped by a
rogue extended arm.)
 *   Could a tube/rogue arm "invade" our control  system space? The best way to
avoid damage is to create protective panels.  Mr. Mulik bought relatively
lightweight acrylic/Lexan panels for this. Now  that we are getting heavy, we
should make a panel or two and weigh it to  strategize whether we make all the
panels out of this material or try to find  something lighter. We might be
better off mounting the heavier material with  hinges (which we don't have yet)
so they are "doors" or from some standoff at  the top of the 80/20 so that it
drops down like a garage door/hanging bi-fold  door. (Doors which are
relatively heavy are going to require significant  reinforcement at hinge area.
Drop down doors might be a bit easier and we  already have extra piano hinges.)
 *   Could deflated tubes get caught up in our  photosensors/wiring? Need to
check out their placement to determine  if a protective layer might be in order.
 *   Are the edges of the robot base clearly  marked/mated to appropriate
bumpers? Any labeling on the bumpers must be  on the back (not top) indicating
edge and orientation so we don't try to mount  them in the wrong spot in the
heat of the moment. Red covers should get the  same labels. We should also
confirm pin attachment is still smooth and  easy.
 *   Do all our new electrical connections to PD  have breakers? Absolutely
critical.
 *   Do we have all the required logos on our  robot? The deployer's back panel
and, better yet, the new protective  panels are the best place to show off our
sponsors.
 *   Do we need our tube hanging PVC for practice  hanging the Übertube? When
we are done, we can repurpose those PVC pipes  to make the banner holder for
our pit area. Good post-ship activity if can't  be done earlier.
 *   Do we have a banner designed and ordered?  (I thought I heard that that
was in the works at one point...)

After robot ship, some can start organizing/packing tools for optimal placement
in the pit. I will try to get the new bigger tackle box for the electrical
components soon. We can put hand tools in the drawers of the black rolling
metal tool chest. If we keep the batteries below on the shelf of that cart, we
need a legal way to transport them for travel. Maybe the power tools fit in the
big plastic boxes FIRST gave us. We will also need to bring backup supplies in
every category of component used on the robot.

Not sure what was determined about space on the bus bcz there are several large
items on the bus aside from the robot: robot rolling wood base, robot rolling
metal cart, black metal tool chest, plastic chests of tools and small supplies,
and hard-to-handle supplies. (Tackle box and other small things are
manageable.) Would be good to have tie-down straps for all the really big
rolling items.

See you later,
Maria