[smsrobotics] Re: Plan for Week 3

  • From: "Wells, Ken" <KenWells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "smsrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <smsrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:50:38 -0500

Have we already ordered any tensioners from AndyMark? We'll need at least 6.

Could somebody check for recently posted changes to the rules? For example, I
heard that the length of the tube-hanging pegs has been increased from 14.5" to
16". If so, we'll want to update our mock-ups.

Also, I gather there's some discussion about the Tectronix motors burning out
when teams have attempted running a 1:3 ratio, to increase the speed above
direct drive on their minibots. But those teams are hoping that they get just
3-4 sec out of them to make the top before they toast 'em. (I believe there's
got to be a better way!)

Third, some teams who are carefully reading the rules wonder if the mother-bot
can grab the pole before the 10 sec limit on deploying the mini-bot. Will the
rules allow that? If not, is there another non-controversial way to get "set"
ahead of the 10 sec period?

-Ken Wells

St. Mark's School
Southborough, MA 01772