[smsrobotics] Re: First few days (Very Important, Read Completely)

  • From: "Mulik, Jaiwant" <jaiwantmulik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "smsrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <smsrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:35:02 -0500

A million apologies for overlooking Bainca from the list of students below.
When I was writing the email I kept thinking about Bianca's role but then
forgot to write it down when it came to listing students:

Bianca: She will get the choose what she feels will help the team most during
the first week. A the only experienced students on this team, she is probably
the best judge of how she can contribute. The only thing I ask is that she
email the list with a one-liner about what she would like to do in the few days.

Does that work for you Bianca?

On 1/9/11 11:02 AM, "Mulik, Jaiwant" <jaiwantmulik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Folks,

Here is the plan for beginning Week 1:

To prepare: YOU MUST READ THE GAME MANUAL **BEFORE** YOU COME TO LAB TOMORROW.

Beginning Day 1: (Monday, Jan 10th): BRAINSTORMING PHASE

(This phase might take 2-3 days). That is ok.

        1. Review Game together:
                    What is the game about?
                    What are the scoring rules?
                    What is our target score?

        2. Scoring Strategies: (ABSOLUTELY **NO** DISCUSSION OF DESIGN OR
IMPLEMENTION):
                    Talk based on expected game result (start with end in mind).
                    If such-and-such is what we want for the field to look at
the end of what would we need to do?
                    What are the strategies for scoring?
                    How many points do they get us?

        3. Establish a **prioritized** list of strategic objectives:
                    Get the minibot up first?
                    Score max during autonomous?
                    Make Logo?
                    Simply put what you can when you can?

        4. Develop consensus as a team.
                    We **must** develop 100% consensus on the prioritized list.
                    Everyone must have complete buy-in to work towards same
goal down-to-the-last-letter.

        5. No design ownership.
                    At this point, prioritized list becomes "public property".
No single person owns the list. Even if the original
                    suggestions were theirs.

This is the plan we will follow when we are in the lab (from 3:30 to about 5:30
or until our brains are fried).
MEANWHILE, on YOUR OWN TIME you can do tasks under your ownerships that require
attention even without strategy:

For example:
Colin: T-Shirts, Progamming
Tim: Programming, Control systems
Caleb: Understanding all the part in the kit
Lindsay: Making mocks of game element, making sure that there is a 12:1 scale
model/picture.
Jon and Diana: Helping out whoever wants help
Abby: Getting website shining.

Notice that there is nothing here for Maria, Ken and I. That is because this is
YOUR project. We will help, but that is all. YOU create, YOU learn and YOU
enjoy. We will be around all the time, of course.

Regards,
JM.
Director of Academic Computing and Computer Science Instructor
St. Mark's School, Southborough, MA
(508) 786-6155
Lekin woh zindagi hi kya jisme koi namumkin sapna na ho?