[smartvisionau] I had a response on Incluseve Android site to my question re navigating with BrailleBack - now wondering about next update and/or whether BRLTTY could possibly be an alternative?

  • From: Vivien Palcic <vivienpalcic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: smartvisionau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 16:23:49 +0800

Hi all,

I've forwarded the below again (including my original question posted on the Inclusive Android site), for clarity/context. I've also pasted the response, which confirms my suspicion re this navigation issue being a BrailleBack issue. I've also pasted my follow-up question.

*Begin pasted text of response*
Thinking it might be a BrailleBack issue.
Submitted by SienaT on Thu, 09/21/2017 - 21:03
Answer:
Hello,
I am having the same problem with BrailleBack when reading emails, I can read the first lot of the email, however when I scroll forward any further using the pan right command on my Braille display, it moves me right to the bottom of the screen. This leads me to believe that this is a BrailleBack bug and not a phone specific bug, as I am using a Motorola Moto X Play and a Sony Xperia phone, and I'm having the same problem with BrailleBack on both devices. I have asked about this on the Eyes-Free list, and have not had any response.
P.S. Using a BraillePen 12 Touch, have also tested this with a Focus 40 Blue and an Alva BC640.
(End pasted text of response*

*Begin pasted text of my my follow-up question*
What about next BrailleBack update, and is BRLTTY an alternative
Submitted by Vivien on Fri, 09/22/2017 - 08:13
Answer:
Thank you so much, SienaT. So does anyone know then, whether this is going to be addressed in the next BrailleBack update? The information I read so far did not refer to this issue. And is BRLTTY perhaps an alternative? From what I read so far on
http://www.brltty.com/archive/Android/brltty-on-android.html#navigating-...
and on
http://www.brltty.com/archive/Android/brltty-on-android.html#using-brltty
I gather that it does not require BrailleBack and is providing screenreader functionality in its own right? (I used the Windows version some years ago with NVDA, but that was back when the Braille display I was using at that time was not directly supported in NVDA, but could be used with BRLTTY.)
(End pasted text*

Vivien