[slumstudies] Let's Brainstorm!

  • From: "Prof. Delario Lindsey" <lindseyd1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Slum Studies Research Group <slumstudies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:40:07 -0500

Greetings All,
I was thinking, as part of the process of developing the Slum Studies
project and getting to know one another, each of us should contribute a
series of topics or issues about which the group can collectively brainstorm
and discuss.  I believe this to be a necessary process as it helps us to
collectively frame the parameters of the project in accordance with our
individual scholarly interests.  Also, what better way of getting to know
someone (particularly an academic) than by familiarizing yourself with their
scholarly/intellectual priorities.  I have listed a few of my scholarly
priorities regarding Slum Studies below.  Submit your own lists, and please
share your thoughts about my topics and issues.

-D

*Topics/Issues of consequence:*
- Re-imagining the core/periphery relationship
- The relationship between national development and urban development
- The relationship between the urban and the rural (push/pull forces)
- Slum, Favela, Shanty: regional interpretations of profound (urban)
inequality
- Crime, Safety, and Social Control in the slum
- The Slum and the Lives of Women and Children
- Cultural Contributions of the Slum (read: the favelas of Rio de Janeiro
and Carnival)

--
Delario Lindsey, Ph.D.
Department of African, African-American and Caribbean Studies