[slumstudies] Re: [Comurb_r21] Call for a Slum Studies research group

  • From: "Lindsey, Delario" <LINDSEYD1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Massimo A. Allamandola" <suburbanstudio@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:15:12 -0500

Greetings Massimo,
Your work sounds fascinating, and I welcome you to the slum studies research group. I will forward instructions about joining the Listserve.
-D

Delario Lindsey, Ph.D.
Department of African, African-American and Caribbean Studies
Department of Liberal Studies
William Paterson University - New Jersey

On Nov 5, 2009, at 6:39 AM, "Massimo A. Allamandola" <suburbanstudio@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Hello !

This is something I am very interested. My architectural thesis back in 2003 was made between South Africa and Uk on a title "Informal Economy and Regeneration". Then I have been intermittently involved with HIC
during the last few years...
What I am particularly interested would be to analysis the DeSoto question about Informal Economy at a critical
level...
Some background :
http://books.google.it/books?id=VXVCnSlAmOgC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=%22robert+home++desoto&source=bl&ots=8nKAEx890Q&sig=8E4VIJWtclCVgn-bnpM-3bT2ah0&hl=it&ei=MrfySoWKLo2C_Aa1xKGrAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Would this be something would interest you ?
I am also interested to analysie post-colonial studies in relation to planning, urban, built environment and rural studies and how historical understanding is missing in many of these studies.

Please let me know...

Kind Regards,

Massimo Andreis Allamandola

Prof. Delario Lindsey wrote:

This is a call to bring together an informal research group to study the world historical significance of slums, favelas, and shanty-towns. The ultimate goal of the group would to produce publishable works which can be submitted as an edited volume. The project (which I informally refer to as ‘Slum Studies’) seeks to take the slum or favela seriously as a world historical ( developmental) form. This is an analysis that can have both quant itative as well as qualitative elements.

There are tremendous amounts of data currently available from organizations like UN-HABITAT, and Global Urban Observatory (to name only two) that measure the growth of slums and favelas as well as the global movement of populations from traditional rural areas to cities in the developing and developed world. I believe the areas that are deserving of more extensive study include basic questions involving the historical persistence of slums and favelas, and what this might say about the way inequality functions in the Capitalist World Economy. What are the social, political, and economic forces that make slums and favelas possible given the potential for economic prosperity argued to be associated with globalization? Are slums and favelas inevitable outcomes given the still rather limited nature of capital flows in the global economy? I also believe that the intra-national consequences related to the continued growth in slums and favelas in developing regions should be explored. Just as important as how slum-dwellers live is the issue of how they are treated by municipal and national governments. Identity issues (related to race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality) are also very important components of this projects Issues of social and political exclusion can go hand-in-hand with spiraling criminal activity and policed violence in these peripheralized areas. I welcome any and all suggetions. Interested parties can contact me via email at:

lindseyd1@xxxxxxxxx
Delario Lindsey, Ph.D
Visiting Professor of African, African-American and Caribbean Studies