[slumstudies] Re: Call to Form an Informal Research Network on the Significance of Slums, Favelas, and Shanty-Towns

  • From: "Lindsey, Delario" <LINDSEYD1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Yasmin Zaidi" <yzaidi55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:50:41 -0500

Greetings Yasmin,
Please forgive the delayed reply to your email. Your research questions are a perfect fit for the slum studies project, and it would be great if you would joined us. The group has been somewhat quiet of late, but my hope is that (through discussion and debate) each member will produce a paper dealing with the issue of slums and global urban inequality that can be submitted for publication. If you know of anyone else doing work in this area, please let them know of the groups work. I will send you instructions for joining the slum studies Listserve shortly. Welcome!

Delario Lindsey, Ph.D.
Department of African, African-American and Caribbean Studies
Department of Liberal Studies
William Paterson University - New Jersey

On Jan 26, 2010, at 9:01 AM, "Yasmin Zaidi" <yzaidi55@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is a rather belated response to your call for an informal network. I do agree with your suggestions that 'slum studies' are important to understand the links between capitalism, politics and I would add bureaucracy. In Pakistan, as elsewhere, a mix of factors have led to the growth of slums- their consolidation into slum cities, and in fact, development of suburbs as slum cities is a concern.The perspectives, attitudes and behaviors of young people who grow up in these communities would be of interest to me. I suspect that the crime and prostitution rings that operate here target young people as recruits quite early on.

Please let me know how we should take this furhter?

Yasmin Zaidi
Islamabad Pakistan