[slackintosh-users] Re: new Slackintosh user

  • From: DAve <dave.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:29:47 -0500

DAve wrote:
Adrian Ulrich wrote:
Hi,

Well I already had the 2.4.33.3 kernel sources so I started there. I had downloaded the kernel source pkg and install with installpkg, no problems.

Uh? How did you installpkg the kernel sources? You are supposed to
extract them to /usr/src/linux or so..

Ummm,

#wget http://slackware.mirrors.easynews.com/linux/slackware/slackware-11.0/slackware/k/kernel-source-2.4.33.3-noarch-1.tgz

#installpkg kernel-source-2.4.33.3-noarch-1.tgz

Is that not correct?

Seems the include files couldn't be found, I checked the /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h file (where the error occured) and at the referenced line I see this,

install the glibc package (not glibc-solibs)

I did, pkgtool shows it installed. So I download the pkg and try again.

root@slacker:/home/dave# removepkg  glibc-2.3.5-powerpc-2.tgz
root@slacker:/home/dave# wget http://slackintosh.workaround.ch/pub/slackintosh/10.2/slackintosh/l/glibc-2.3.5-powerpc-2.tgz

root@slacker:/home/dave# installpkg glibc-2.3.5-powerpc-2.tgz
root@slacker:/home/dave# cd /usr/src/linux
root@slacker:/usr/src/linux# make vmlinux
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.33.3/arch/ppc -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from scripts/split-include.c:26:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:26: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

root@slacker:/usr/src/linux#

Hmm, I'll install the kernel headers, make mrproper, make menuconfig, make dep, make vmlinux again.

And we are compiling! I hope I am not being a pain here, but it's been a few years since I messed with Linux, just wanting to make sure i am not doing anything stupid. I appreciate the help.

DAve

Maybe I mucked something up.

DAve

Do I need a symlink for /usr/include/* to /usr/src/linux/* to compile, or should I copy my kernel headers into /usr/include/(linux,asm) directories?

No. Just install the glibc package.
You may, however, choose to install the kernel-headers-2.4.xx package
to compile certain packages (like mplayer). But this is not needed to
compile a kernel.

Regards,
 Adrian

Veterans?