[slackintosh-users] Re: new Slackintosh user

  • From: "Marco Bonetti" <marco.bonetti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:26:37 +0100

On 3/2/07, DAve <dave.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well that answers my next question ;^) I wasn't sure if I needed to make
any specific patches or alterations to compile for PPC. I was guessing
that I wouldn't need to install the kernel, just copy of a directory I
can access. I'm booting with a 2.4.x kernel, but I noticed that Adrian
says 2.6 runs better so I was going to start with the sources from
linux-stable at ppckernel.org.
older 2.4 kernels need benjamin herrenschmidt (hope I don't mispelled
it :-P ) patches, 2.4.33+ (IIRC) and 2.6+ kernels already include
those. that's why, at the time we start all of this, 2.6 kernels were
simply better :-)

What about modules? Does everything need to be compiled in or will the
kernel have access to the module directory when it's time to load them.
this is up to you, just remember to have essential modules (like fs
support) built-in.

And that answers my second question! The Mac has two cards, an ATI Rage
and a ATI Rage Pro.
there's a sample ati xorg.conf in this mailing list. you've three options:
1) search the mailing list (boring)
2) join #slackintosh on irc.freenode.org , link is in the channel topic (fast)
3) download
http://workaround.ch/pub/rsync/mb/linux-live/GUS_wesnothlive_powerpc.iso
there two xorg.conf (nvidia and ati based) in /etc/X11 (funny)

ciao

--
Marco Bonetti
Slackintosh Linux Project Developer: http://www.slackintosh.org