[slackintosh-users] Re: new Slackintosh user

  • From: DAve <dave.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 22:04:41 -0500

Mikael Andersson wrote:

Can anyone suggest URLs for the following?

X on Slackintosh
Kernel build on slckintosh (I am guessing I need to spend an evening on
ppckernel.org)

Kernel build for me was straightforward, if you've done it on Intel you
can do it on PPC as well.
If you haven't done it at all, there are some good guides out there - an
ultra-simplistic example:

http://www.slackbasics.org/html/kernel.html

Well that answers my next question ;^) I wasn't sure if I needed to make any specific patches or alterations to compile for PPC. I was guessing that I wouldn't need to install the kernel, just copy of a directory I can access. I'm booting with a 2.4.x kernel, but I noticed that Adrian says 2.6 runs better so I was going to start with the sources from linux-stable at ppckernel.org.

What about modules? Does everything need to be compiled in or will the kernel have access to the module directory when it's time to load them.

Aside from a basic config, the only thing you really need to ensure is
that you enable any PMac specific functionality, such as integrated NICs
and video, and file system support (HFS and Ext/Reiser, for starters) -
these generally need to be compiled into the kernel, not left as modules.

Finally, of course, ignore any references to LILO/Grub/yaboot and simply
copy your kernel from /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/boot (I think O_o) into
the directory on your HFS partition where you keep your kernels. Reboot
into Mac OS, change the name of the kernel to boot to the new one you
just compiled, reboot ... likely get odd error messages, reboot, change
to the kernel that works, make menuconfig again, mess around some more,
recompile (ccache is your friend), and try again until it works.

I guessed as much. Anyone got a basic conf to start with?

Once you have a kernel that's working, and you've compiled support for
your PPC's video card, try the standard VESA xorg.conf that ships with
Slackintosh (right?) - you may be in luck and have a standard ATI Rage
or something, in which case that conf should work just fine.

And that answers my second question! The Mac has two cards, an ATI Rage and a ATI Rage Pro.

It is an AV G3 with a fast 60gb drive and 500MB ram. It's my wifes old Photoshop machine. Funny thing she went to the Mac store kicking and screaming, didn't want to give it up. It was still fast enough and stable as all get out. She would still be using it if we could get a web browser worth a darn for Mac OS9.

Good luck!

I do appreciate all the help.

DAve

Veterans?