[slackintosh-users] Re: kernel compile

  • From: Craig Cooper <craig.cooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:10:41 +1000

OK, I believe I have the steps necessary.

This is what I have done so far...

from within xorg, and as Root user:

cd /usr/src/linux

make clean  <-- unsure if this is needed

make mrproper  <-- unsure if this is needed

make xconfig

load /boot/.config

leave all existing options - I want a kernel only for my one computer,
so I removed a lot of legacy hardware support, which was of no
interest to me...

It would be wise to add v4l and v4l2 support if you ever want to use a
webcam, I also added dvb support for USB devices (TV Tuner USB
sticks).

when finished, do a save as... to /usr/src/linux/,config

exit xconfig

make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

copy bzImage to /boot/vmlinux-newsuffix

edit /etc/yaboot.conf with the new initrd.gz and vmlinux-newsuffix name

run ybin (-s)

This is all from memory, but I am sure many people will correct me :-D

cheers.