[slackintosh-users] Re: WPA?

  • From: "Sunil Amitkumar Janki" <devel.sjanki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:31:09 +0100

On Dec 24, 2007 5:06 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marco Bonetti schreef:
>  > you've to run wpa_supplicant. I can confirm wpa is working with
>  > airport extreme so it should work with airport too.
>
> not really... the airport extreme is a very different card from the
> original airport: the latter is based on (IIRC) a hermes chipset, while
> the airport extreme uses a broadcom chipset. for ages there wasn't a
> linux driver for the airport extreme, even though the airport card was
> well supported.
>
> the airport card uses the airport driver, which in turn uses hermes and
> orinoco. the driver for the airport extreme is a different one. (don't
> remember which one, though.)
>
> > 3) test with: wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> at this point, i get an error. in fact, i get a whole bunch of errors,
> primarily things like 'ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not permitted'. if
> i turn on the debug output in wpa_supplicant, one of the lines is
> telling me:
>
> WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - Driver does not support WPA.
>
> but at a later point it says:
>
> WEXT auth param 7 value 0x0 - Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
>
> my guess is that WPA isn't supported for the airport driver, no-one has
> taken the time to implement it. i've found some messages on the net
> (from the orinoco-devel mailing list on sourceforge) that suggest some
> people are working (or were working) on WPA-support for the orinoco
> driver (which is used by the airport driver), but it doesn't seem to be
> working... :-(
>
> > merry wireless xmas!
>
> i wish you the same! ;-) for me, it seems the wireless part isn't
> happening... :-(
>
> thanks for the answer, though. ;-)
>
> best,
>
> joost
>
> --
> Joost Kremers
> Life has its moments

Hi Joost,

Do you have GNOME running on your installation? I've got
Networkmanager and the GNOME applet (Knetworkmanager doesn't build)
running on 4 architectures and it works fine (actually too well since
last time I enabled it, all IPs were changed from the fixed ones that
I had assigned previously).

That may be an option for you too, but too much hassle if you don't
have GNOME installed already. I've seen the errors you are seeing
before but couldn't ever get WPA working from the command-line using
wpa-supplicant. Now it works without effort using the GSB build
scripts for dhcdbd and networkmanager. You need libnl 0.6 as well.

Good luck and happy xmas
(Succes en prettige kerstdagen)

Sunil