[slackintosh-users] Slackintosh QEMU PPC

  • From: Sunil Amitkumar Janki <psychicistnonconformist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 21:50:29 +0200

Hi,

I am a developer of a Slackware derivative distribution that
consists mostly of additional applications and custom compiled
kernels to make it more usable for end-users.

I am syncing Slackware, Bluewhite64, Armedslack, Slackintosh,
Alphaslack and Slack390 regularly for sources and patches.

For now I have mostly x86 packages but I am really thinking
multi-architecture, just like Debian and Gentoo, only better :-).
Most patches created are being sent upstream to Patrick Volkerding
unless they are not applicable for x86.

I have also ported Slackware to MIPS Loongson but I am still
testing it and catching up to Slackware 12.0. Since I don't have
all hardware architectures available I have been running and
contributing to Armedslack development in QEMU ARM virtual
machines.

Furthermore I have tried to install Slackintosh in a QEMU PPC
virtual machine but the last time I tried I didn't succeed.

So I would like to ask if Slackintosh could include a kernel
and if possible directions to install it into a QEMU PPC virtual
machine which would help much with development and creating
add-on packages.

Also the Playstation 3 was released a few months ago. It would
be nice to be able to install Slackintosh on it. That would probably
necessitate a separate kernel. Unfortunately I don't have one at
hand since it's still too expensive so I can't help out with this.

I am doing the same with my MIPS port creating custom kernels
for MIPS R4000, Malta, Fu Long and other hardware platforms.

Performance would be more than adequate since my family
already thinks the Fu Long miniature computer with a Loongson
running at 700 MHz is fast. You can only wonder how fast Slackintosh
should be able to run on the Playstation 3 :-).

When I have time I will try to get Alpha system emulation working
but I will have to get a better understanding of QEMU to be able to
do so. The ultimate would be to be able to run all different ports of
Slackware in QEMU instances.

Kind regards,
Sunil Janki

P.S. It would be nice if I were able to contact the developers directly
so if you are willing to add me to the developers' mailing list that
would be immensely helpful.