[slackintosh-users] Problem with Slackintosh 12.0 initrd

  • From: "Edward Felberbaum" <efelberbaum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:23:55 +0000

Hi,

I'm having trouble doing a fresh install of Slackintosh 12.0 on my
Apple G3 Wallstreet II @ 233 Mhz (512k cache) w/256MB RAM.

Because the G3 Wallstreet is an Old World machine, I first have to boot
into Mac OS 8.6/9.x and then use BootX to boot into Slackintosh.

I've been using Slackintosh 10.2 since early 2006.  10.2 works GREAT
but it's getting old and I wanted to try some of the newer packages
and need the newer dependencies.

A week ago I upgraded to 11.0 and had some problems (I forgot what),
so I decided to upgrade to 12.0.  That sort of works but I had some
other problems so I thought why not do a fresh clean install of 12.0.

I used mac-fdisk to create swap and data partitions.  The type is
always Apple_UNIX_SVR2 for both the swap and data partitions.

Here is the problem.

When using Slackintosh 12.0 vmlinux and initrd, "setup" fails with
something like "LINUX PARTITION IS NOT DETECTED" in the standard
pkgtool dialog window.

However when I used initrd from Slackintosh 11.0 (still using
Slackintosh 12.0 vmlinux), "setup" WORKED and I was able to install
Slackintosh 12.0.

I must conclude that there is a problem with Slackintosh 12.0 initrd /
"setup" script.

---

Have you ever considered using a different message board?  Perhaps
Google or Yahoo Groups or phpbb?  FreeLists has problems of its own.
Topic threads that span months are hard to find and follow becase each
month and its message are separate.

Eddie

On a side note, while running Slack 10.2 I upgraded the memory from
128 MB to 256 MB, expecting to see faster kernel compiles, but it
still takes between 100 and 120 minutes to compile the kernel -
2.6.22.1 took 120 minutes in console mode.

More photos, more messages, more storage?get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507