[slackintosh-users] Re: PS3

  • From: Jan <janwge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:25:10 +0100

> can anybody tell how to make flash and/or java work ?
> and is there a way to create your own distro base on this one (slackintosh)

It is possible to use qemu to execute x86 binaries on powerpc (no idea if this
works for PS3). I use it for rar/unrar, which works. However I have no idea if
this works with the flash plugin...
If you want to try it, here's a short step-by-step guide for slackintosh, which
you might use as a starting point:

1. Get / compile / install qemu
2. Copy the shell script qemu-binfmt-conf.sh, which comes with qemu source
code, to /usr/bin and make it executable
3. Make sure qemu-binfmt-conf.sh contains the correct paths to the
qemu-<arch> executables
4. Get qemu-gnemul-x.x.x.tar.gz from the qemu webpage and extract it to / on
the slackintosh system
5. Copy the directories /usr/lib and /lib from an existing
x86-(Slackware)-Linux system to /usr/local/gnemul/qemu-i386
6. Make sure you have the module binfmt_misc compiled in the kernel
7. Load the module: modprobe binfmt_misc
8. Mount the fs (cleanup): mount -t binfmt_misc none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
9. run qemu-binfmt-conf.sh, which ties x86-binaries to the qemu-i386 userland
emulator