[slackintosh-users] Re: OldWorld (beige G3) support?

  • From: Mikael Andersson <manders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:20:04 -0400

I got Slackintosh 10.1 installed on my beige G3 233MHz without a hitch by using the Gentoo kernel from Gentoo/PPC 2005.0 along with the Slackintosh initrd image. I assume you don't want a HOWTO for the Slackintosh project relying on a kernel from Gentoo =) so as soon as I get a spare moment I will compile a new kernel and submit it.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Mikael Andersson
Computer Technician
McMaster University
Humanities Media & Computing

Togo Salmon Hall, Room 207

1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
L8S 4M2

Phone 905.525.9140
Ext.  24429
Fax   905.577.6930
Email manders@xxxxxxxxxxx

Adrian Ulrich wrote:
As Marco said:

 We don't own an oldwork Mac.. so we can't test it.
 But the compiled binaries should work on your hardware..

 The defaultkernel could be the biggest problem..
 I have no idea how good it will work on 'oldworld' macs ;-)

 If something is missing, i could create a 'customized' kernel for you..

I'm assuming I would simply copy the kernel and initrd setup file to my HFS partition, tell BootX to mount the CD as a root file system,

BootX doesn't need to care about the CDROM.

Checkout
 http://workaround.ch/pub/slackintosh/10.2/boot

You'll need:

 vmlinux -> Uncompressed Kernel image
 initrd  -> Installer Rootfs

Somhow you'll have to boot the kernel (or a different kernel with ext2
support) using 'initrd' as 'initrd' and with
this arguments (append)

'root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=10240 rw'

(See: http://workaround.ch/pub/slackintosh/10.2/boot/yaboot.conf)

You shouldn't run into any trouble after you got your system
booting using the initrd..
Just run setup, skip the yaboot configuration and reboot..

Any caveats?

No idea ;-)

Would be nice if you could write a howto if you got it working..

 -- Adrian