[slackintosh-users] MOL (mol-0.9.71_pre8_2.6.17.13-powerpc-1)

  • From: Mike S <michael_six@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:43:33 -0700

I am on a fresh install of slackintosh 11.0, which took a bit of doing to get installed. I am looking to help Thorsten with GNOME so I wanted to install a fresh copy of 11.0 as to avoid any stray packages that may have been installed by me. First when I boot up the Slackintosh 11.0 d1.iso or whatever it's named, the install disk, the kernel that is the default boot shows half a screen for me, but the kernel that is installed works fine. My card is a Rage 128 Pro, so I am assuming that the fb that the kernel is loading is the aty128fb, though I didn't check. Also the setup script doesn't work for me, it just sits there endlessly. So all in all what I ended up doing was making my partition, formatting with ext3 and copying the slackware directory from the cd onto it, and booting with the old 10.2 install disk then chosing the new slackware directory in the setup program to install packages from.

That being said the reason for this post. I do not know if maybe the package has been recompiled or some other way fixed, but when running mol, OS X Tiger is the only one that I could get to load, for some reason OS 9 will not, it complains about a missing /sbin/iptables, I looked and this file is indeed NOT there, but it is in /usr/sbin. So easy enough I made a symlink to fix the problem, and now networking in MOL works fine, but that is just an annoying bug or whatever you want to call it that you may want fixed, I don't know if that was an available file on the development box that compiled the mol package or whether that was something that is somehow hard wired ito the mol code, or maybe a symlink that needs to be added to the iptables package, but I thought I would let you know. Also it seems that blackbox is still dependent on the libstdc++.so.5 file which IIRC is part of gcc 3.3, (maybe a remnant of slackware 10.2 that was never recompiled with the newer gcc?), I didn't have kde at that point and wanted to try blackbox since I have never used it. I did not try the standard symlink fix that usually works, for I just didn't want to play with it all night. Other than that I have found no problems, Slackintosh is awesome, my hat is off to Adrian for a truly great port, and my search for a linux distro that I like totally is done, I am hooked on slackintosh.

That brings up one more question directed to Adrian, since I was thinking of doing the same thing a while back, what inspired you to do it? (compile Slack)

Mike S