[slackintosh-users] Re: How to deal with openssl 32/64bit packages

  • From: Adrian Ulrich <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:13:59 +0200

Hi,

> Well this is not a real problem.

This is a feature.

> What I'm more concerned about is the fact that either package overwrites the
> executables
> (same problem with glibc).

I'm aware of this problem and have yet to find a good solution for this
problem.

Well: It isn't such a *big* problem because your system will not break
if both versions (32bit and 64bit) of the libs are installed:
A 32bit openssl binary works fine on a 64bit system.

Anyone knows what other OS/Distributions are doing?

IMHO /usr/bin64 would be a *good* solution (PATH=/usr/bin64:/usr/bin)
but nobody else is doing this and reinventing the wheel isn't fun.

> Should I forsee any problems having both packages installed?

No and this is (currently) the recommended solution: Install a
32bit installation and add (additional) 64bit stuff.

This way 32bit stuff works and you'll have a working 64bit openssl
binary.

> however when I run ld -lssl it says it cannot find the
> library.

ld -lssl searches for an 32bit version. (Is it installed?)

root@keroro:/tmp# gcc -m64 -c test.c    <-- compile (But do not link) for 64bit
root@keroro:/tmp# ld -m elf64ppc -lgmp test.o <-- link against non-existing
64bit version
ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgmp.so when searching for -lgmp
ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgmp.a when searching for -lgmp
ld: cannot find -lgmp
root@keroro:/tmp# gcc  -c test.c <-- compile (But do not link) for 32bit
root@keroro:/tmp# ld  -lgmp test.o <-- link against existing 32bit version
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 00000000100001d0

To create powerpc64 packages it would be enough (in most cases) to simply
call gcc with '-m64'
Example:
 http://workaround.ch/pub/rsync/au/64/source/n/wget/wget.SlackBuild
 (=> CC)