[slackintosh-users] How to deal with openssl 32/64bit packages

  • From: Naveen Nathan <naveen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 06:21:36 -0700

When compiling software for either powerpc or powerpc64
for the linker to find the openssl library it looks in the
library search path for a libssl.a which is included in the
openssl-<version>-powerpc* packages.

The problem is, if you install the powerpc64 package it installs the
libssl.a in /usr/lib64, which is cool if you want to compile and link
to openssl for powerpc64 executables only. However you need to install
the powerpc package to install /usr/lib/libssl.a for powerpc, so you
can also compile for powerpc.

Well this is not a real problem. What I'm more concerned about is the
fact that either package overwrites the executables (same problem with
glibc).

Should I forsee any problems having both packages installed? I install
the powerpc64 first, so the powerpc stuff is what is actually on the
system since that is what resembles slackintosh-stable the most.

Is there a any way to deal with this? Also what baffles me is the 'ld'
manpage says when it searches for an archive it also considers the .so
libraries, however when I run ld -lssl it says it cannot find the
library.

Thanks,
Naveen