[skycastle-dev] Skycastle News Update - Signal Through!

  • From: "Hans Häggström" <zzorn@xxxxxx>
  • To: skycastle-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 17:53:13 +0300

Hi all!

The last month I've been working on adding property and action support
to GameObjects, as well as on a client and server that decode and
encode messages, and apply them to their internal datamodel. Yesterday
I finally got the maven build process sorted out so that it creates
jars that contain all needed dependencies, and after fixing various
small serialization issues we now have scripts for starting a client
and server that send messages to each other.

I added instructions for running the client and server in the
development environment (
http://www.skycastle.org/wiki/Compiling_Sources#Starting_up_a_server_and_client_in_the_development_environment
), give it a try! It's tested on Linux for now, on the Windows side
the .sh scripts just need to be converted to .bat files
(straightforward).

For now, the server just sends the id of the clients account
GameObject to the client. The chat functionality and 3D view that was
in the earlier prototype server and client are not present.

The next steps on the server side is to start implementing POJO (plain
old Java object) backed GameObjects, and implement an Account object
that allows the user to list available games, and create and use
avatars for them.

On the client side, the big missing part is the user interface. The
server should be able to send UI layouts to the client that the client
can then display and navigate in. The exact design will need to be
evolved as we go.

Cheers,

-- zzorn