[SKRIVA] Stockholm Culture Night

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "fictionmags@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fictionmags@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 01:04:14 +0200

Since a number of years, one Saturday evening in April has been designated
Stockholm Culture Night. Both public and private institutions are open until
00.00 and present a program of 350+ events, most of them free of charge.
  Here, briefly, my adventures during the just passed Culture Night:
  * A quick stop at the Royal Mint Museum which now had the 1940's as theme.
You could buy old German 10 Billion mark bills from the early 1920's for just
10 crowns! A bargain. It was a 150 m long line to get into the nearby Tessinian
Palace, even longer than the line to the much, much bigger Royal Palace (maybe
100 m line). But had no time for that.
  * Because I went to the Nobel Museum, where the translator and well-known
book reviewer from TV Yukiko Duke talked about the Japanese skiffy related
author Haruki Murkami, known for 19Q4 and often mentioned as Nobel nominee.
Duke said he was somewhat controversial due to being so influenced by "American
popular culture". She especially likes the short stories of this profilic
writer. The Swedish translations of him are better than the English.
  * Then I saw old cartoons from the DDR on the German Goethe Institute, from
the early space age. One about Santa Claus flying a pedal driven helicopter to
the Moon hunting for Sputnik. Another one was a propaganda piece about stupid,
clumsy Americans flying to the Moon, just to find that the Soviets are already
there. After this there would be something on the French Library (incl cognac
tasing) but I seem to have had the wrong adress. Just as well, I was pressed
for time.
  * By chance I stopped by Dagens Nyheter's (newspaper) outdoor stand where the
often brilliant reviewer Fredrik Strage was interviewed. Many oneliners. The
audience laughed a lot. Strage was the one who once apologised  for giving the
crappy medieval knights film "Arn" a too good review, by standing outside a
cinema and hand out 100 crown bills to those who admitted the film was a turkey.
  * On to the City Museum where I saw both the "Stockholm in Comics" exhibition
and the "Stieg Larsson corner" (Stieg Larsson walks have become an extremely
popular tourist trap, but all of them miss the old SFSF HQ on Pontonjärgatan
45). Later I saw a 18th Century dance performance there by the group "Gustavs
skål", dressed up in clothes from the period. There's a substantial
dress-up-like-in-the-1700s movement here.
  * And finally, I saw the photo exhibition about the cult series on TV, Tårtan
("The Cake"), by sf-fan (his first novel was skiffy) Carl Johan De Geer. He
said Swedish TV treated the Cake guys like shit, with a slave contract that
gave them nothing when the series became Big Cult. Carl Johan himself played
the ape in the series, fixed the props and took photos, which now were for sale
(as a small compensation for not getting TV money from all the re-runs)
  * A quick stop on the way home in a local library, where an amateur rock band
played (which I didn't stay for). Later they'd have a panel discussion about
"sexy fiction", but I thought I had had enough for the evening and sex in
fiction is so cliche.
  Murakami, DDR cartoons, Strage, old dances and De Geer were things rather
worth while. These Culture Nights are a very good initiative. There were *lots*
of people on town - and they seemed to enjoy it all. But I probably missed ca
344 events of the 350...
--Ahrvid

Ps. CC: to SKRIVA. (One reason to write this in English is to be able to link
to the report from an @SFJournalen tweet, which are in English.)

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).