[SKRIVA] Scientologerna kallar Hubbard "konstfilosof"

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sverifandom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:58:13 +0200

(Skrev det på en utländsk mailinglista, men återpostar här. Scientologernas
metod att ljuga, vara osannolikt selektiva och förvränga går känna igen på
annat håll. Hubbard var en någorlunda välsedd hackwriter i pulpmagasin, men
ingen av De Stora. Här blir han synonym med hela pulperan! Och konstfilosof...)

MyNewsdesk is an open press-release service, in fact usually of some interest.
And the "Scientology Church" in Malmö, southern Sweden has discovered this and
here tries to plug L Ron Hubbard as an "Art Philosopher".

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/view/pressrelease/l-ron-hubbard-konstfilosof-648512

I'll translate bits and summarise.
  They claim Hubbard "financed his research through writing". (What
"research"?) They call "Fredric Pohl" /sic/ his friend and carefully select
Pohl quotes. According to Pohl's own The Way the Future Blogs he met LHR
exactly twice.
http://www.thewaythefutureblogs.com/2009/09/the-worlds-of-l-ron-hubbard-part-2/
  The scientology press release the talks about the pulp magazines arguing they
were important and read by many (I don't disagree, but it's trivial) but also
that "between 1929 and 1941 his /LRH's/ name was synoymous with popular
literature" (here I disagree!). They hail Hubbard's serial Buckskin Brigades as
"the first novel giving a correct picture of the Blackfoot indians". (I have my
doubts. Read a Hubbard yarn translated in a Swedish newsstand publication in
the 1950's, about the Foreign Legion where Arabs where only painted in the
coarsest ethnic cliches.)

I wonder why the scientologists make a press release about non-news (the novel
mentioned isn't available) but I do a search in Newsdesk's database. I get 11+
(Ghod knows how many more) pages of "press releases" with "news" like "What is
the Scientology cross?", "Applied Scolastics" (some Scientology shit),
something from "The Committee for Human Rights" (some Scientology operation -
oh, ain't we in deep trouble if we're gonna get our human rights from
scientologists!).
  They have used this news channel for a long time to pump out irrelevant
drivel.

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur