[SKRIVA] Jordanillustratör (Darrel K Sweet) död

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sverifandom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 17:52:48 +0100

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/12/darrell-k-sweet-1934-2011

"It is with tremendous sadness that I report that Darrell K. Sweet passed away
this morning. Since the mid 1970s, Darrell’s illustrations defined many of
fantasy’s most beloved series—including Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time—among
literally thousands of genre book covers. An avid history buff, Darrell also
spent much of his time painting frontiersmen and the American West. His
paintings evoked the classic storytelling narration of the Golden Age
illustrators. A Sweet cover promised an adventure to be had. Darrell was one of
the first painters I called when I started my career at Tor, eighteen years
ago, and we’ve worked together continuously throughout these past
near-two-decades. He was the 2010 World Fantasy Guest of Honor and I was very
grateful to spend a full weekend with him and his son, after so many years of
talking on the phone and trading notes through express mail. Regardless of how
many years he had in the business, or how many paintings off the easel, he was
as eager to talk about technique and craft and his passion for painting as any
student at the beginning their career. I’m particularly sad that he was unable
to finish Memory of Light, the final book in Robert Jordan’s epic fantasy
series the The Wheel of Time. He has been a vital part of this series since its
beginning, 25 years ago. I know he was hoping, to the end, to be able to see
this epic body of work to its completion."

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur