[SKRIVA] Gamla pulpomslag

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:53:10 +0200

En intressant artikel om omslagen till gamla pulpmagasin och s k penny
dreadfuls:

http://io9.com/5832671/how-science-fiction-cover-art-got-its-pulpy-sense-of-wonder

"Science fiction book cover art as we know it today was born in the pulp era of
1920-1955, but the process of evolution actually started decades earlier.
Here's a brief history of science fiction cover art, charting its earliest
development, from the 1860s into the pulp era.
Before the internet, television, and radio, print media was the primary source
of information and entertainment. What we think of today as magazines used to
be newspapers called broadsheets. They were large sheets of paper printed on
both sides with news and illustrations. Following advancements in printing
technology, these broadsheets were bound in the magazine format we know today,
but were still fundamentally newspapers and retained the same look.
The Victorian aesthetic appeared from 1820-1900 and is characterized by tons of
ornamentation, both in imagery and typography. Most book and magazine covers
escaped excessive imagery, but faltered under cluttered typography. Captions
often accompanied images to narrate the moment of action rather than allowing
the image to speak for itself. Images portrayed a single moment in the story
meant to captivate passersby with feelings of adventure and excitement. Actions
and poses were stiff and often awkward. Color was expensive, and not commonly
seen until 1900."

--Ahrvid

Ps. Pulp kallades så då det var uselt papper. Och den som vill slippa mer som
är uselt bör markera mail av Pseudonym-Putte ("GJ", "OR" m fl), skicka dem till
Skräppost och strax lär sig systemet att allt av samma avsändare skall pulpas.

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur