[SKRIVA] För 50 år sedan...

  • From: Ahrvid <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 17:45:00 +0100

För 50 år sedan idag sändes det första avsnittet av TV-serien "Dr Who", och BBC
har gjort ett speciellt 50-årsjubileumsavsnitt som kommer att sändas i 75
länder samtidigt. Dock inte i Sverige. I Norden är det bara finska YLE som
sänder det. Men i samarbete med SF-Bokhandeln kommer bion i Tumbas Folkets Hus
att visa avsnittet, live - i 3D dessutom.

http://www.folketshustumba.se/kalender/view.asp?ID25

Dock är livesändningen utsåld. En extraföreställning går direkt efter (och där
finns nog biljetter kvar).

-----

Men en annan 50-årig grej är att det i går var 50 år sedan USA-presidenten John
F Kennedy lönnmördades på öppen gata i Dallas, Texas. Med anledning av det
skrev jag på en utrikisk sf-lista nedanstående betraktelse där jag drar
paralleller med mordet på Olof Palme (och det finns en del paralleller
Kenney/Palme visade det sig):

I was a little toddler when President John F Kennedy was assassinated in 1963,
but certainly not when the same happened to the Swedish Prime Minister Olof
Palme in 1986. It occurs to me that there are a number of parallels to be
drawn. Here we go:

* Both Sweden and the US had a long history of national leaders being killed.
For the US, before Kennedy, Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield. For Sweden kings
Gustavus Adolphous and Charles XII (died in battle), Gustav III (assassinated),
and then Palme.

* Both Kennedy (Democrat) and Palme (Social Democrat) were to the left of
middle in politics.

* Both were from families of ”nobility”. The Kennedy clan has been described as
the closest to a ”royal family” there’s been in the US. Palme’s grandmother was
Finland-Swedish nobility and his mother German-Baltic nobility and the young
Olof grew up in the upper class.

* Both had their possible successors assassinated. JFK’s brother Robert fell
for a murderer’s bullet during his presidential campaign. The Swedish Foreign
Minister Anna Lindh was knifed to death in 2003, but was generally considered
as the natural successor to the then Prime Minister Göran Persson (who has said
he was to to resign mid-period and let Anna take over).

* Both were men of words, making speeches reaching international attention.
Kennedy: ”We choose to go to the Moon…”, ”Ich bin ein Berliner”, ”Ask not what
your country…”. Palme: comparing Vietnam to Treblinka etc (angered Nixon to the
point of pulling the US Ambassador), ”creatues of dicatorship” in
Czechoslovakia, ”these bloody killers” (about the Franco dictatorship in Spain).

* Both took their high offices at an unprecedented young age: Kennedy was 43,
Palme became Prime Minister at the age of 42.

* Both were surrounded by Infidelity rumours. Kennedy with Marilyn Monroe,
Palme with Shirley MacLaine. Hollywood actresses both.

* Both murders linger somewhere in the realm of ”solved…unsolved”. I have no
doubt that Lee Harvey Oswald fired those bullets from the schoolbook
depository, but there are many unanswered questions. A fourth bullet? What did
the guy do in the USSR? Why was he himself killed? People behind? For Palme,
the murder is officially unsolved, but one Christer Pettersson was convicted
for it in a lower court, then acquitted in the appeals court for ”insufficient
evidence” (despite the widow and a son pointing to him, with some degree of
certainty). Sources in the Stockholm police claim the murder is ”in police
terms” solved – it was Pettersson, but the last little detail to nail him 100%
was lacking. (Personally, I believe it was the mentally unstable drug-addict
Pettersson, earlier convicted for a manslaughter. Makes sense.)

More parallels could be made. Both having a personal charisma. Both having a
military career.Both travelling abroad, Kennedy in Europe before WWII, Palme in
the US after the war. Both had their wife present when the deed took place.
Both were assassinated on an ”open street”. Etc.

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Follow @SFJournalen on Twitter for the latest news in
short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).