[SKRIVA] Bästa skrivtipsen - om författarna själv får välja!

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:11:57 +0200

Här ett par sidor med skrivtips direkt från författarna själva:

http://bighow.com/news/the-art-of-great-writing-60-writing-tips-from-6-alltime-great-writers
http://bighow.com/news/the-art-of-great-writing-part-2125-more-tips-from-20-all-time-great-writers

Citat från en del av de bästa tipsen:

Mark Twain's Rules of Writing (urval)
1. A tale shall accomplish something and arrive somewhere.
2. The episodes of a tale shall be necessary parts of the tale, and shall help
develop it.
3. The personages in a tale shall be alive, except in the case of corpses, and
that always the reader shall be able to tell the corpses from the others.
4. The personages in a tale, both dead and alive, shall exhibit a sufficient
excuse for being there.
10. The author shall make the reader feel a deep interest in the personages of
his tale and their fate; and that he shall make the reader love the good people
in the tale and hate the bad ones.
11. The characters in tale be so clearly defined that the reader can tell
beforehand what each will do in a given emergency.

JG Ballard's Rules (urval)
2. I always prepare a very detailed synopsis before I start writing.
6. I don’t give much thought to style, which is probably a fault.
7. Yes. I’m not really interested in characterisation, I’m much more interested
in psychological roles.
8. I’ve always loved case histories. The sort of things you get in textbooks
9. The fiction is already there. It is up to us to invent the reality - We live
in a world of entertainment culture that’s informed by relentless television,
hundreds of channels, by advertising, by politics conducted as a branch of
advertising, by consumerism as a whole. It’s seen as a reality because people
are quite serious about it, but it’s completely devoid of real elements.
10. We are living in a giant novel.

When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
- Raymond Chandler

What I did have, which others perhaps didn’t, was a capacity for sticking at
it, which really is the point, not the talent at all. You have to stick at it.
- Doris Lessing.

The best way is always to stop when you are going good and when you know what
will happen next. If you do that every day when you’re rewriting a novel you
will never be stuck.
- Hemingway

Sleep on your writing; take a walk over it; scrutinize it of a morning; review
it of an afternoon; digest it after a meal; let it sleep in your drawer a
twelvemonth; never venture a whisper about it to your friend, if he be an
author especially.
- A. Bronson Alcott

STEPHEN KING’S 7 TIPS FOR BECOMING A BETTER WRITER
1. Get to the point.
2. Write a draft. Then let it rest.
3. Cut down your text.
4. Be relatable and honest.
5. Don’t care too much what others may think.
6. Read a lot.
7. Write a lot.

ELMORE LEONARD'S 10 TIPS FOR NOVEL WRITERS
1. Never open a book with weather.
2. Avoid prologues.  ...
3. Never use a verb other than ''said'' to carry dialogue. ...
4. Never use an adverb to modify the verb ''said'' . . .
5. Keep your exclamation points under control.
6. Never use the words ''suddenly'' or ''all hell broke loose.''
7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip. ...
11. If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.

KURT VONNEGUT’S WRITING TIPS
1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel
the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the
action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make
awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made
of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the
world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To
hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is
going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should
cockroaches eat the last few pages.

ORWELL'S 6 QUESTIONS
In every sentence that you write, ask yourself,
What am I trying to say?
What words will express it?
What image or idiom will make it clearer?
Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?
Could I put it more shortly?
Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?

Kommentar. Jag har stundom skrivit en hel del skrivtips själv (se t ex i
SKRIVA:s FAQ som finns på infohemsidan - kanske dags att uppdatera FAQ:en någon
dag?).
  Många skrivtips man kan läsa om från kända och framgångsrika författare är
varandra motsägande. Planera noga, kan en säga. Nej, var spontan! Skit i djupa
personteckningar säger Elmore Leonard, men Mark Twain vill ha mer persondjup.
  Sanningen om skrivande är att envar nog har *sitt eget sätt* att skriva. En
del sätt må vara bättre, en del sämre. Det finns olika typer av författare,
liksom det finns olika typer av prosa och olika sorters läsare. *Alla* sätt att
närma sig författande är inte lyckade, men man kan alltid försöka leta fram det
sätt som passar en själv.

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur