[SKRIVA] About the Pirate Party of Sweden

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:36:12 +0200

Here's a news story from Associated Press
(http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jUlqN1vDIHfPi_pyDyy46l9dbKYwD98HUH702
 ); I have some comments last:

'STOCKHOLM — Hollywood's successful court action against a notorious
file-sharing site in Sweden has propelled a new movement advocating copyright
reform to the doorstep of the European Parliament.

Once a blip on Sweden's political map, the Pirate Party has gained followers by
the thousands after four men behind The Pirate Bay Web site were given one-year
prison terms for helping users break copyright laws.

"We tripled our member count in a week," Pirate Party founder and chairman
Rickard Falkvinge said.

The party has been receiving about 6 percent support in recent polls, which
would be enough to win a seat in the European Parliament. Falkvinge said his
party's advocacy of shortening the duration of copyright protection and
allowing noncommercial file-sharing between individuals is catching on around
Europe.

"In my opinion Sweden is just 18-24 months ahead in the political debate in
this field," he said. "We see the same debate in Europe and all over the world.
This is going to be a big global change."

The Internet-savvy Nordic country has long been a hub for file-sharing
enthusiasts, taking advantage of an extensive broadband network to download
copyright protected music, movies and computer games.

By cracking down on The Pirate Bay, many saw the Swedish authorities as caving
in to pressure from the entertainment industry.

"Politicians tend to look at the Internet as a computer game that you can take
away from the kids when they've been bad," Falkvinge said. "The time has come
to understand information politics. That is why we are growing like a torrent."
'

While this article says a lot about file sharing, it should be noted that the
Pirate Party's perhaps strongest point is about privacy on the Internet! I went
to their EU election meeting last Saturday, and the thing about a reformed (not
abolished, though) copyright law was hardly mentioned. All speakers went into
the issue of privacy, though.

  In Sweden and in the EU, there have lately been launched several new laws
that infringe upon the right to privacy. The so called FRA Law gives
authorities the right to monitor all Internet traffic in and out of Sweden. The
so called IPRED law gives private companies the right to find out IP addresses
of private citizens. There is a so called data storage directive (from the EU)
which says that all data about electronic traffic (Internet, mobile phones)
must be stored. And there are a few other things.

  The "old parties" don't care about the Internet, sadly enough.

  BTW, the Pirate Party is 6-8 percent in the opinion polls, and will most
certainly gain at least one seat the the EU parliament - and perhaps more! If
they get two seats, we will have an sf fan there, Amelia Andersdotter. I do my
bit to help her, as you can see in my signature (which says "Cross the Pirate
Party's Amelia to Bruxelles"; the Swedish election system lets you place a
cross in front of the prefered candidate).

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur
(skriva-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, subj: subscribe) YXSKAFTBUD, GE VÅR WCZONMÖ