[SKRIVA] 87 misslyckade förutsägelser

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:13:13 +0100

En skojig lista å 87 förutsägelser om framtiden, som inte blev så lyckade:

http://www.dailycognition.com/index.php/2007/05/09/top-87-bad-predictions-about-the-future.html

Vilket bara betonar att det är svårt att sia, särskilt om framtiden.
  Värt att tänka på när man läser de mest fantastiska sf-romaner... Nu menar
jag iofs att sf INTE är till för at "förutse" framtiden, utan för att varna för
trender, skildra vår samtid genom en spekulerande "skrattspegel", göra
teoretiska och kanske underhållande spekulationer, sdätta fantasin i rörelse,
osv. Att på allvar "förutse" saker är det mycket litet sf som gör.
  Några "förutsägelser":

"And for the tourist who really wants to get away from it all, safaris in
Vietnam" Newsweek, predicting popular holidays for the late 1960s.

"That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is
suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical
nature have been introduced." Scientific American, Jan. 2 edition, 1909.

I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best
people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out
the year." The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a
message sent to no one in particular?" Associates of David Sarnoff responding
to the latter's call for investment in the radio in 1921.

"Nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners will probably be a reality in 10 years." -–
Alex Lewyt, president of vacuum cleaner company Lewyt Corp., in the New York
Times in 1955.

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done [research on]... The bomb
will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." Admiral William D.
Leahy, U.S. Admiral working in the U.S. Atomic Bomb Project, advising President
Truman on atomic weaponry, 1944.

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of
messenger boys." Sir William Preece, Chief Engineer, British Post Office, 1878.

"A man has been arrested in New York for attempting to extort funds from
ignorant and superstitious people by exhibiting a device which he says will
convey the human voice any distance over metallic wires so that it will be
heard by the listener at the other end. He calls this instrument a telephone.
Well-informed people know that it is impossible to transmit the human voice
over wires." News item in a New York newspaper, 1868.

"Rail travel at high speed is not possible, because passengers, unable to
breathe, would die of asphyxia." Dr Dionysys Larder (1793-1859), professor of
Natural Philosophy and Astronomy, University College London.

"I must confess that my imagination refuses to see any sort of submarine doing
anything but suffocating its crew and floundering at sea." HG Wells, British
novelist, in 1901.

"What, sir, would you make a ship sail against the wind and currents by
lighting a bonfire under her deck? I pray you, excuse me, I have not the time
to listen to such nonsense." Napoleon Bonaparte, when told of Robert Fulton's
steamboat, 1800s.

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur