[sjbiofuels] Re: Meeting this Friday

  • From: "John Phillips" <jphillips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sjbiofuels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:12:39 -0700

I will be unable to attend as I am out of town. I have some info from our
last meeting in September to share.

It appears that the bulk chemicls for biodiesel processing (methanol, sodium
hydroxide/potassium hydroxide, sulfuric acid) are readily availabel form
several Puget Sound area distributors and will not be a problem to obtain,
and do not require special permit.

Here is info on the BioPro380 processor (I think this is one that was
mentioned that the group was considering purchasing). The big and messiest
challenge will be obtaining "filtered, dewatered oil" from the waste oil
before adding it to the processor.

"The BioPro 380 is the big brother of the popular BioPro 190. It is capable
of producing a 100 gallon batch of biodiesel every 48 hours. The process is
automated and the tanks are constructed of 304 stainless steel, just like
the BioPro 190. The tank weldment is mounted on a powdercoated carbon steel
stand. All components are high quality, industrial grade.

Before starting the process, the user simply fills the machine with 100
gallons of filtered, dewatered oil. The oil can be any organic oil (tallow,
fats, vegetable oil, etc), but in most cases, waste vegetable oil is the
most commonly used feedstock to make biodiesel with due to it's wide
availability.

After filling the machine with oil, the user fills the machine with a
predetermined amount of catalyst and methanol. The catalyst is easily
weighed and placed in the machine. The methanol is then added to the
machine. The final step is to measure out the proper amount of sulfuric
acid. The user then presses "The Big Green Button", waits for the mixing to
start and then pours the sulfuric acid into the machine. And then, get this,
THE USER WALKS AWAY allowing the machine to do its work. There is absolutely
no need to monitor the machine at all. It does the majority of its work all
by itself!"

The processor sounds "too good to be true?"

John Phillips

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Credence Ross <credence_ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
John Phillips