[SimpleMail-usr] nlistviews.mcc? and body search

  • From: Kulwant Bhogal <kulwant.bhogal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 06 Aug 2003 03:37:27 +0000

Hi all,

While updating from SimpleMail 0.17 to 0.19, I checked all my nlist .mccs
and discovered that the 060 optimised versions have to be created manually.
I did this and think it has made a difference to the speed with which
messages are displayed in big folders (although this could be more to do
with the dropping of nlisttree in the newer SM version).

Anyway, i also noticed that there are 030, 040 & 060.pch files for
nlistviews (note the s at the end) but there is no nlistviews.mcc in the
archive!!!

Question: Was this left out accidentally? If so, who can the file be
obtained from?

I think the answer may be that the nlistviews.mcp file handles the prefs for
all the nlist   .mccs but I would like to know for sure as I am only
guessing.

Also, if .elf files are produced for MorphOS, would it be much work to
produce PowerUp or WarpUp versions to speed up message list views when
nlisttree is used with folders with 1000's of messages?

Also, When the search body function is produced, could this also use the ppc
so as to really speed this CPU hungry task up? I have some suggestions for
producing a highly optimised body search ppc function:

1. Copy all messages to RAM (if enough free RAM - otherwise use a big
buffer). This should reduce slow context switches with lots of disk reading.

2. Let the PPC loose on the ram copy of the messages with the search
criteria (also in RAM).

3. Let the PPC produce the matched message list in RAM.

4. Present the matched message list to the user.

5. Delete the RAM copy and clean up when user closes search/results window.

In fact, if I get enough time, I might even have a go at this myself :-)

Oh and a suggestion I will be adding to the bug track - the current simple
search facility has a bug - if you hit next or previous from a message
opened from the search results window, the next (or previous) message from
the original folder location is shown instead of the next (or previous)
message from the search results window.

Kind regards,

Kulwant