[SimpleMail-usr] Why does sending take so long?

  • From: Kulwant Bhogal <kulwant.bhogal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 29 Mar 2005 01:57:17 +0100

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out why sending the first email in a session takes so
long to send nowadays.

I thought it was because I had nearly 600 emails in my "sent" folder, but
even after moving all but 25 into another folder, after I've hit the "Send
Now" button, it takes a good 10-12 seconds before anything happens and the
email goes. This is a simple text email (no attachments) no more than 4k
big.

I'm on a 1Mb broadband connection and a 50MHz 060 with 128Mb RAM.

After the 1st email is sent, subsequent emails go instantly.

Also, when I hit "Hold" from the compose window, it takes around 12 seconds
before the email is "held". I have only 2 other items in the "Outgoing" folder.
I noticed that SM accesses the Hard disk when I hit the "Hold" button and it
still takes a long time even with subsequent "Hold" operations.

Incoming mails come down as quick as usual everytime.

Kind regards,

Kulwant