[SimpleMail-usr] Re: SimpleMail should leave alpha state (was: SimpleMail 0.13 released)

  • From: David Rey <david@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 14:18:28 +0100

> Sebastian Bauer :
>We finally plan to leave the alpha state very soon, as we think SimpleMail
>has progressed very well in the nearly one year of its existence.

Absolutely agreed.

>Please tell us your opinion about that and also some features which a mail
>client must have and SimpleMail doesn't offer yet.

I'd start by finishing what you have started already, e.g. by making the
forward phrases to work, and things like that. :-) Boring I know, but this
shouldn't take too much time, right? :-) Also, a more complete ARexx port
would make people look at SM with even more interest, for example letting
them to import email from other mailers. ;)

Then while we're still at alpha status, you might look into implementing
a more robust mail archiving format. YAM is still a pain at this - if you
get a lot of duplicates you may accidentally delete the WRONG ones, not
to mention the fact that YAM takes a helluva lot of RAM (crashing when
it runs out of it) when filtering to lots of folders with hundreds of emails
there. So far I didn't test SimpleMail under the same circumstances, but I
suspect it is cloning this basic /flaw/.

In the long run (albeit I know you'll be tempted to go for it ASAP...),
IMAP support and other niceties not yet seen on the Amiga would turn some
heads. That, and some of the features of "The Bat!" would win you a good
share of the /market/, and the shareware concept would start to become more
than reasonable ;)

OK, how's that for being busy until new year? ;))

> Hynek Schlawack :
>A standard-address and a standard-indentity are important, maybe also
>packing/encoding using xpk.

IMHO XPK support would be a waste of time with the huge hard drives people
use now.

Now, if we talk about _simple_ things, like encrypting the passwords in the
config file... :)