[SimpleMail-usr] Re: SMTP over SSL

  • From: Jörg Strohmayer <nospam@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Simplemail-user_mailing_list" <simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:41:19 +0100

Hynek Schlawack <hynek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But no one of us has access to a SSL-SMTP-Server.

Are you sure? I doubt it: mail.gmx.net, smtp.web.de, mail.uni.de, ...
It least one, if not all, of these servers should support it.

For SMTP there is no simple stunnel used like for example in SPOP3 and
SNTTP, a normal ESMTP extention (send 'EHLO your.domain', search for
'STARTTLS' in the answer) is used instead.

BTW: You should add POP3 STLS support too.

>  2. If yes, do you know a free SMTP server supporting SSL?

Postfix, Exim, Sendmail, ...  do you know a SMTP server without SSL
support? ;-) if you want to install one locally, if not use one from a
(free) (mail) provider like www.arcor.de, gmx.net, www.myrealbox.com,
... for testing.

You don't even have to have an account on such a SMTP server, just use
for example postman.arcor.de for testing and as soon as you get to the
'relaying denied' error everything works (already getting the answer
after a STARTTSL without error to the 2nd, encrypted EHLO is enough) ...