[YPS SIG] Re: documentary photography anyone ?

  • From: sarah i'anson <sarahplews1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sig_yorkps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:55:53 +0000

What a useful clarification. Part of my job is consultations with people who
live and work in older peoples homes - If professional ethics were not a
barrier Id  have my camera with me like a shot! Much of the work involves
lengthy and sometimes intimate discussion with groups and individuals in their
own environment and I sometimes can't help.but think of the great image the
person/group would make.
Anyway I digress!

Do you both still have  film cameras ? One thought as a bit of a project was
using only one 36 exposure black and white film each,  take pictures of what we
each consider to be documentary photography, and submit the best images to each
other for ( hopefully kind and conatructive !) critique. I don't know the dark
arts so mine would be 'as taken' and lab processed! Oh and it probably would be
Jan before I had anything to submit!

Sarah

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:09:05 +0000
Subject: [YPS SIG] Re: documentary photography anyone ?
From: johnillyphotography@xxxxxxxxx
To: sig_yorkps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My thanks to photo.net for this brief explanation of "documentary photography"

First, we generally think of documentary photography as photography that has a
connection to real situations and that attempts to represent those situations
with minimal distortion. We know, of course, that even though we think of
photographs as honest evidence, they can lie in many ways -- but here the
distinction is that we expect the documentary photographer to attempt to
present work that minimizes this, or at least doesn't purposefully
misrepresent. Walker Evans said that the term should be "documentary-style"
photography, because it was really meant to be art, where true "documentary
photography" would be photographs that served a function. That is, if you were
in an auto accident, you might make a photograph of the damage to the car as
evidence for the police or for an insurance company. Someone doing a
documentary photography project on auto collisions on a dangerous stretch of
freeway, however, wouldn't really care if their image was great evidence for
those purposes -- they would be more concerned if it worked for the project
they are doing, and perhaps about its aesthetic qualities.

A great place to start looking at documentary (or documentary-style)
photography would be the work of Mary Ellen Mark. She has many books you can
find in any local library or bookstore. Often they involve immersion into a
particular culture or activity or place, and reveal at a very deep level how
people live and often something about human nature. They are also usually
amazing when appreciated as visual art.
Well its a start I suppose.

John I.

On 15 November 2011 16:55, Charlie Eddington <ceddington@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I'd be interested in the documentary group and also the contemporary
    one that was previously discussed. I appear to be getting jobs doing
    documentary stuff so I need some help!

    Cheers,

    Charlie

    Charlie Eddington

        e: ceddington@xxxxxxxxx

        w: www.charlieeddington.co.uk

    On 13/11/2011 09:54, Allan Harris wrote:

      OK then, we have a new group!

Allan

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 22:29, sarah i'anson <sarahplews1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        That's three of us then know nothing/ not very good, which seems an
excellent starting point!

________________________________
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:47:00 +0000
From: johnillyphotography@xxxxxxxxx
To: sig_yorkps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm up for a bit of that!
I know nothing about it though
John I.

On 11 November 2011 12:18, Allan Harris <allanharris.harris@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Yes! I'm just not very good at it.

Allan

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 21:41, Sarah I"Anson <sarahplews1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

          Hello

This is just a provisional anyone else interested in documentary
photography
?

Sarah

        --
Allan Harris
This is the 'Special Interest Group' discussion list for York Photographic

An archive of messages can be found at
//www.freelists.org/archive/sig_yorkps

'unsubscribe' as the subject line

--