[sib-access] Re: Off-Topic: Guitar Tablature

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 17:56:20 -0400

Hi Dale.

Yep, classical guitar music is almost always written in standard
notation.
Yes I'd imagine a pianist could play most classical guitar music on
piano without much difficulty.  Not so going the other way though -
many of those close-voiced chords on piano, really tight clusters
of notes, are really nasty on guitar.

Don't forget that guitar music, for some strange reason, is notated
in the treble cleff and transposed up an octave above how it
actually sounds.  Why people didn't just use a grand staff, treble
and bass cleffs, and not transpose anything is beyond me, but that
seems to be how it is done.

So, 3rd octave E to your ear is written up an octave, 4th octave E,
on the bottom line of the treble clef staff.  This odd arrangement
means that the lowest string on the guitar, usually tuned to 2nd
octave E, is notated below the third leger line down, on the treble
cleff staff. Weird but true.

Chris