[sib-access] Re: FW: [BrailleM] Music in braille radio programme

  • From: "Alison Trelfa" <alison.trelfa@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:01:47 -0000

Hello, Lisette,

Thank you for your very quick response. Your programme was certainly plenty
of food for thought.

It's very interesting that when I was at college, the access just wasn't
there for me, and it actually is sad to note that it was faster to learn by
ear and memorise than it would have been to get my materials into braille. I
studied at Newcastle College in the UK, and although I can read music, I
don't use it nearly as much as I should as I quickly become inpatient with
the slow speed of it.

As a teacher of sighted students now, however, it doesn't make sense to
teach someone who can see without introducing them to the concept of the
written medium for a time when they will need to use it to progress.

At college we did look at the magnetic notation to give me a greater
understanding of printed notation and the scale of the notes and symbols,
but there is nothing in the UK that I have found, and I would dearly love to
be able to use something like it to begin teaching the very young children I
work with. Some of these children are blind too, and what better way to
start than in a similar way to what was outlined in your broadcast.

Well done for your efforts. Please give my best regards to Neil too. He was
the very first trainer I had who dragged me kicking and screaming from dos
to windows over ten years ago! Tell him I've never looked back.

Kind Regards,

Alison Trelfa.