[sib-access] Re: [Bulk] enlargement the spaces

  • From: "Farfar on Laptop" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:37:33 -0800

Saeed,

ere's a blog from Sibelius that also helps to explain document layout and
spacing.

Tutorial: Layout and formatting in Sibelius 5

by Daniel Spreadbury on October 14, 2008 ·
1 comment

in
Tutorials

One of the most misunderstood feature areas in Sibelius is layout and
formatting, which includes things like page and staff size, the distances
between
staves, and things like system and page breaks. After the jump, I'll clear
up those misunderstandings.

As an example, look no further than these
top page layout tips
 from educator and author Dr Tom Rudolph. Tom is the author of many books on
using technology in music education (including one on Sibelius), and he's an
accomplished user of both Sibelius and Finale, but I would disagree with a
couple of his tips.

block quote
1. Open House Style > Engraving Rules and click on the Staves tab. Set the
distance between staves and systems for the entire piece. I also change the
justify
amount to 95% for most scores. Do this before dragging staves manually. If a
staff is manually adjusted, the Engraving Rules settings are ignored.

block quote end

This is actually almost completely great advice. Using Engraving Rules to
set the distances between staves and systems is the most important step in
achieving
good page layout. However, I strongly disagree with setting Justify staves
when page is n% full to a high number like 80% or above, though if you asked
10  users about layout in Sibelius, there's a good chance more than one of
them would recommend the same thing.

So why the disparity? The Justify staves. option controls staff
justification, where Sibelius expands the space between staves in order to
fill the page
up vertically (between the top and bottom staff margins). If you don't know
about the way to set up default staff spacing in Engraving Rules, then you're
going to start dragging staves up and down to try and space the staves how
you want them. And if Sibelius always tries to redistribute the space
between
staves down the whole height of the page, you'll start experiencing some
curious "rubber-band" effects, with staves bouncing closer together
unexpectedly.
So you search for a way to stop this "rubber-banding", find the Justify
staves. option, and disable it - all the while missing the correct way to
change
the space between staves and systems.

(An aside: I often wonder whether we were right to make changing vertical
staff spacing by dragging the staves up and down so easy. On the one hand,
it's
very simple and immediate, which is very much in keeping with the way
Sibelius is designed; but on the other, it's much easier to discover than
the better
way to change staff spacing, via Engraving Rules, with the consequence that
users may discover how to drag staves around very early in their experience
of using Sibelius, but never find the proper way. I imagine there are
hundreds, if not thousands, of Sibelius users out there frustrated with the
clumsy
way the program appears to handle staff spacing. Would we make the same
decision today?)

Staff justification is actually a super-useful feature, and helps to produce
clean, consistent and pleasing page layouts in Sibelius. So don't turn it
off!
If you're not sure how to make it work for you, watch my detailed layout and
formatting tutorial - read on.

block quote
2. Set the number of bars per line using Plug-ins > Other > Make Layout
Uniform.

block quote end

For me, a better way of achieving this would be to use Layout > Auto Layout,
switching on Use auto system breaks and setting Sibelius to produce system
breaks every (say) 4 bars.

Tom's other recommendations are all sound enough.

A few months ago I delivered an
in-depth video tutorial
 about layout and formatting in Sibelius 5. It lasts for about 40 minutes,
and contains detailed explanations about:

list of 5 items
. How the Document Setup dialog works
. The differences between page and staff margins, and what they're for
. How to understand the effects of vertical justification and have it work
for you, not against you
. How to adjust staff spacing for a more pleasing page layout
. Three simple steps to better layout
list end

I'll put you out of your misery and reveal my three simple steps to better
layout here (though I strongly recommend you watch the rest of the tutorial
anyway):

list of 3 items
1. First, select your whole score, do Layout > Format > Unlock Format, then
Layout > Reset Space Below Staff and Reset Space Above Staff
2. Change the default staff and system spacing on the Staves page of House
Style > Engraving Rules
3. Change the staff size in Layout > Document Setup.