[SI-LIST] Re: would vsense pin make us not worry about DC IR Drop for PI

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emcesd@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:24:01 -0500

Hi Tesla,

Remote sense pins can certainly help to reduce DC drop, but there are
still several things you need to check:
- some DC-DC converters have only single-ended high-side remote sense
and therefore can not compensate for DC drop in the return (ground) planes
- if you have more than one device to feed, unless things are perfectly
symmetrical, you will still have uncompensated voltage drop among the
targets
- if your target device is very sensitive and you have to use series
filters to lower the residual ripple of your DC-DC converter, you need
to be careful where the remote sense is connected.  If it is connected
to your target device, after the filter, so that the DC drop of the
filter is also removed, you may have loop instability in the converter.
You can read more details about this in the paper "Dynamic
Characterization of DC-DC Converters" at
http://www.electrical-integrity.com/

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

On 12/20/2012 3:54 AM, Tesla wrote:
> Hi, Expert
>
> I found it difficult to maintain 5 percent DC voltage drop for the modern
> FPGA, eg, Virtex6 demand 20A for the core, even if a use a complete power
> plane.
> The lucky thing is modern power supply chip has vsense pin to output a higher
> voltage for compensating the DC IR drop.
> Does that mean we need not worry DC IR drop if our power chip has the vsense
> pin to modify the voltage?
>
> Thanks and happy holidays
>
> Tesla

List forum  is accessible at: