[SI-LIST] Re: what's de-emphasis

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Adiu <adiu_panli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:40:28 -0500

Adiu,

In terms of resulting waveform shapes, preemphasis and deemphasis in
SerDes are identical.  The differentiator is what is your baseline: if
your reference level is the steady state and you boost the first
transition bit, it is called deemphasis.  If the level of your first
transitioning bit is the reference and you decrease the level of
subsequent bits, it is called deemphasis.  The difference matters only
for the cell design, for the user they should be identical.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

List technical documents are available at: