[SI-LIST] Re: what level of overshoot is acceptalbe

  • From: ERIK KUNDRO <kundro85@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, WANG Zhenwei <Zhenwei.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:48:48 -0800 (PST)

I guess you can look at it as 12% above Vcc. Just be careful not to assume its
always 12%. If your Vcc was slightly less or slightly more... it could be 10%
or 13% because the ration relative to 0.4V would change.
Basically, if your Vcc is 3.3V, then you can experience up to 3.7V of overshoot
for no more than 20ns. Very important to keep the 20ns in mind. If you see
3.7000V last for 21ns, then its too much. If you cross the 3.7V threshold, even
for an instant, then you violate the spec...

Ideally, you should not go above VIH, which you said was Vcc+0.3V or in this
case 3.6V assuming a Vcc of 3.3V. I always like to be conservative like that.

Keep in mind that overshoot can vary from board to board and part to part
depending on processes variance of the IO drivers. So if you are close already,
I would take steps to remove the overshoot because the next board or part could
have more or less overshoot.

If you are getting overshoot on some signals, add series resistors at the
signal source to squelch the overshoot. You may have to play around with the
resistor value (I'd start with 25Ω), but at some point that resistor should
remove the overshoot and you should get a near textbook waveform. If you have a
signal integrity simulation tool, you can get the IBIS models and simulate the
interface while experimenting with various series resistor values. Just be
aware that the series resistors may slow down the rising edges of the signal
and cause timing errors if you slow them down too much.

Erik M. Kundro

Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 8:13
        PM

        Hi guys,

           I have a problem: what level of overshoot is
        acceptable? I was
ordered to qualify a new nand flash on my project.
        There are an signal
integrity measurement on overshooting. Some info
        form spec of nand:

1. power supply:3.3V, so the ideal logic high
        is 3.3V.

2. max power : 3.6V

3. Input High Voltage
        VIH:  2.0~ VCC +0.3;  Input Low Voltage
        VIL,
-0.3~0.8

3. NOTE : 1) VIL can undershoot to -0.4V and VIH
        can overshoot to VCC +
0.4V for durations of 20 ns or
        less.

         So my formula is
        :

         The max acceptable
        overshoot=(max power + 0.4V )/( ideal logic
high )=(3.6V +
        0.4V)/3.3V!%.

        Am I
        right?

BR

Zhenwei
        Wang

ALCATEL-LUCENT

APAC
        ENTERPRISE ENGINEERING AND DEVELOPMENT CENTER

Zhenwei.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or to administer your
        membership from a web page, go to:
//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list

For
        help:
si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        with 'help' in the Subject field

List technical documents are
        available at:

        http://www.si-list.net

List archives are
        viewable at:

            //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

Old
        (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable
        at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: