[SI-LIST] volume resistivity (or conductivity) of printed circuit boards

  • From: jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 12:04:40 +0200

hello SI-list,
I am looking for data on the volume resistivity (or conductivity)
glass-epoxy (= printed circuit board FR-4)
materials.

I have found variuos numbers myself, but I am somewhat uncertain about
exact figures. Actually I have a 2D or
3D finite -element solver who can take care of realistic packaging and
printed track details, but as I stated before,
the results are only as good as the resistivity values used.

The resistivity values I find for epoxy (likely without glass) are 1e9 to
1e11 ohm.m (or 1e-9 to 1e-11 S/m).

I know that water is an important factor.

We are working on photodetector circuits with estimated impedance of
several hundred's of Mohms.

Can someone help me with the following questions:
-1- are my volume resistivity values correct?
-2- does anyone have figures between bone-dry, normal and high humidity
conditions
-3- can I use the same value for the solder mask and what is the effect of
the solder mask

Kind regards,

Jan vercammen

List FAQ wiki page is located at: